Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A small victory for Palestine


I haven't been blogging because I've been sick & am still recovering from a cold & cough. And as sick people often do, I was watching TV last night & ended up watching the Golden Globe awards. I've watched a few of the movies that were nominated such as Munich, Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck. I haven't watched Walk the Line or Brokeback Mountain - both bagged a few awards last night.

But the best part of the evening was when Paradise Now from Palestine won the award for foreign films. I was ecstatic. It almost seemed unbelievable that an American film award panel would recognize the Palestinian struggle - seeing the director on the stage talking about that made me cry. Not only do awards recognize good movies, they're also a marketing tool that help distribute films far and wide, which is why I'm so happy Paradise Now got the award. I have to admit I haven't watched it yet because it was released during a time last year when I had way too much going on in my life. But everyone I know who has watched it has given it a thumbs up and I can't wait for it to be released on DVD.

Laters